Saturday, February 11, 2012

Vissi d'arte: "When you were born big...be big!"


     One day, while I was walking in the concrete jungle, I heard a sound from behind. I turned and i saw a bush behind me shaking as if it were alive.

      "Who's there?", I shouted. No reply. Then I noticed a big eye. A pair of very very big eyes peeking out of the bush. It was an elephant. 

"What are you doing, big guy? Why are you hiding behind the bush?" 
"I'm scared," said the Elephant, "people in this woods are cruel."
 "But you are, like, hundreds times bigger than them!", I shouted. "Why do you have to fear them?"

"They say I don't belong here," he said with a shaking voice, "They say I'm ugly. They say I'm huge."
I saw his eyes turning red. The big Elephant was about to cry.

"It's okay, big guy," I consoled him, "Please don't cry. Give me a big smile."
"you know," I continued,"it's better to come out of the bush and just face those mean people. You were born big, so be big...and be brave. Show them what you can do! Can you roar? Give me some roar! Don't let anyone tell you what to do or what to be. Do those people own this jungle? No, they don't. So they don't have the right to say who belongs here and who doesn't!"

A smile appeared on the Elephant's face.
"You're right," said the Elephant, "I'm much bigger than those people so why do I have to fear them. I can roar louder than thousands of them shouting at the same time. I can jump high. I can touch the sky. It's time for me to be heard. It's time for me to rise."

Then the Elephant stood up. It was very tall, taller than anything around him, tallest in the concrete forest."

"Thank you, little friend," The Elephant turned to me, "for making me believe in myself again."

"You're welcome." I replied.

"But promise me one thing, ok? Please don't smash those people like ants. You are better than that."
The Elephant nodded and gave me a big smile.

I smiled too. 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope you enjoy my late night story. "The Elephant" is an office building in Bangkok. It's cute though. It's really not easy to live in a big concrete jungle. All we have to do is survive. Words are the most fetal weapons of war. People get up at dawn, go out, and race for the top positions on the human pyramid. But well, let's go back to my story. What I want to say is to be brave to be who you are. Don't let words of the others poison you. 


Well, i've said it all. 


Thanks for reading.


Eva S. 


P.S are you smiling like the elephant and me? :)


(Photo credit : me)

No comments: