Monday, November 2, 2009

Vissi d'arte # 8 : How do you interpret art?

I've got an inspiration from Special selected topic class again! It's been the second time already (the first one was the entry about an italian proverb). So now I can say that it's not just a normal class after all!


Anyway, how do you interprete an art? That's the question I've been asking myself for a long time now. It's an objective matter. The only way to know what a piece of art wants to tell you is to go ask the artist himself!


Art interpreting has been my hobby since I've taken the italian art class last year, followed by History of western arts and art appreciation last semester.


But this one is interesting:


Picture credit: http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com


This is the illustration from newspaper in Italy around the 60's. It's the photo of two italian cyclists, Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali. In the pic, it's said that they are sharing a drink in the middle of the road in Italy's most anticipated cycling competition,il Giro d'Italia.


And what makes this photo special? Here it is, this pic, according to my teacher, has been the discussion for almost 40 years about who was the one who passed the drink and who was about to take the bottle? Was it the man in the front who passed the drink? Or was he trying to grab the bottle from the man behind?


As the two cyclists are already 6 feet under! and how can we find the witness of that events? Chissa?


Hahaha
Now I have something to think on the bus on my way to the university!

No comments: